Skip to main content

#Match2018




According to the 2017 NRMP match statistics, of the 28,849 open residency positions, only 159 were offered for integrated plastic surgery (0.55%). There were 446 applicants for this uber-competitive specialty, meaning a match rate of 36% (about one-third) for those who applied. Only 9 of the 159 positions (5.7%) were filled by individuals who were not seniors in U.S Medical schools, such as myself. If you consider all 54,110 individuals applying for a PGY-1 position, I had a 0.017% chance of matching into this field from a purely statistical standpoint.. but obviously there’s more to the story.

The term “Plastic Surgery” is often used synonymously and erroneously with the term “Cosmetic Surgery,” characterized in the media as a specialization dedicated to elective procedures like the Brazilian butt lift and breast augmentation. The term “plastic surgery” is derived from the Greek “Plastikos,” meaning to mold or to shape. While our specialty does offer various cosmetic procedures, plastic & reconstructive surgery is the broadest, and at the same time, most specialized training medicine has to offer. Plastic Surgeons literally operate from head to toe, incorporating techniques found in general surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, and vascular surgery, to name a few. Plastic surgeons undergo rigorous training spanning 6 to 9 years after medical school in order to ensure mastery of these techniques and are at the frontline of the most disfiguring ailments.

For instance, when a child’s face or ear is mangled by a dog bite, a finger gets caught in a table saw, or an arm gets crushed and loses function as a result of a motorcycle accident, it is usually the plastic surgeon that is called upon. When a woman has to undergo a bilaterally mastectomy for breast cancer, it is the plastic surgeon who has to help her decide, and execute the plan to use back muscle, or an abdominal muscle, or a series of tissue expanders and implants, to create natural looking breasts. When a child is born with a misshapen skull, or an extra finger, or a cleft lip, it is usually the plastic surgeon who is called to restore normal function and appearance.

It is little known that the 1st organ transplant (kidney) was performed by Dr. Joseph Murray, a plastic surgeon at Brigham Hospital in 1954. Today, plastic surgeons are at the forefront of surgical innovation and regenerative medicine. Much press has been given lately to the face and hand transplants being performed by plastic surgery teams, but it is equally important to know that it is in the laboratory setting that plastic surgeons are creating new stem cell therapies and tissue engineering approaches to further our ability to restore normal form and function. It should be of little surprise why plastic & reconstructive surgery attracts the brightest and most competitive applicants in the world - and why many people have tried to deter me at every step along the way in my pursuit of realizing my dream.

When I graduated medical school in 2008, I was told I would never match into surgery, let alone a competitive surgical subspeciality. I did 2 research fellowships over 3 years in Baltimore, followed by a preliminary general surgery year in West Virginia, which led to another preliminary general surgery year in Southern California. When I didn’t match, I was had to make a decision: pivot into industry, pick a different medical specialty, or persevere - I chose the latter.

My mantra from day one of this pursuit was that I never wanted to have ANY regrets that I didn’t do everything within my power to realize my dream of becoming a plastic surgeon. I took an unpaid position in a little known, but up-and-coming research lab at UC Irvine. Under the guidance of my primary mentor, Dr. Alan Widgerow, I contributed 67 published articles and abstracts and presented around the world on the regenerative potential of adipose (fat) tissue. I have since co-authored and filed 4 patents, started a stem cell company, joined the board of a medical device company, and am completing a Master’s degree in Biomedical & Translational sciences. Despite all my previous accomplishments, matching at my dream institution, UC Irvine Department of Plastic Surgery, was by far the most difficult task I have ever achieved. I do not write this post to gloat. On the contrary, I write this to inspire.

Numerous studies have demonstrated that improving the diversity of care providers and those that conduct clinical research helps to alleviate disparities in health research data and clinical outcomes. A study published 10 years ago in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery detailed that despite comprising 12.3% of the U.S. population, African-Americans only make up 1.4% of the plastic surgery academic community. And while we are witnessing great advances in the representation of females in medical school (women now outnumber men enrolling in medical school for the first time ever), enrollment of African-American men in medical school has not only stagnated, but also declined to pre-1978 levels.

If nothing else, let my story serve as a call to arms. Everyone doesn’t start on a level playing field.. and for some of us, that means a less direct path to our ultimate goal. But don’t let that serve as a deterrent. At some point you have to realize that life isn’t necessarily going to turn out as you scripted it - but that doesn’t mean give up. The instant I realized this, was the moment I began to consider every failure, every ‘NO,’ and every setback as mental fuel to the fire that propelled me to overcome each and every obstacle that stood in my way.

At the ripe age of 38, I am finally realizing my dream of becoming a plastic & reconstructive surgeon - and everything I have accomplished leading up to this point was going to set me up for success whether I matched or not. Fortunately, I matched. 😃

-

No words can convey the love and support I have received over the years from my best friend and wife, Dr. Angela Williams. Somehow, she didn’t look at me sideways when I told her I was going to take an unpaid position at a research lab 45 miles from our home. She has never doubted my ability or potential, and for that, I thank you. I would be remiss to not also thank my family, my many mentors and supporters, and those who inspired me along the way..

Thank you all for your support, but especially, (the late, great) Pamela Williams, MD, (the late, great) Duane Sewell, MD, Joshua Thornhill, Bill Magee, MD, DDS, Edmund Yang, MD, PhD, Joshua Lieberman, MD, PhD, Airron Richardson, MD, Shadi Abu-Halimah, MD, Marco Ellis, MD, Aisha Baron, MD, Alan Widgerow, MBBCh, MMed, Gregory Evans, MD, Amber Leis, MD, Garrett Wirth, MD, MS, Kayan Paydar, MD, Raj Vyas, MD, Jason Toranto, MD, Al Aly, MD, Alexandra Condé Green, MD, Justin Sacks, MD, Frank Zaldivar, PhD, Don MacKay, MBBCh, BDS

#Match2018 #MatchDay2018 #DiversityInMedicine #PlasticSurgeryResidency #IlookLikeADoctor #ILookLikeASurgeon #ILookLikeAPlasticSurgeon #BlackMenInMedicine #NeverGiveUp #MeharryMade

Comments

Unknown said…
Congratulations again Derek! You are an inspiration. Wish you the best moving forward.
V.L. Chachra said…
Hey buddy thanks for sharing and huge congratulations. I knew some of the story, but clearly not all of it.
I am proud to have been your friend for the past 12 years of this journey... and now we get to do it big in SoCal.
Happy for you and Ang man. Congrats and yes, i am inspired. #getbusylivin

Popular posts from this blog

Immortal Cells, Health Disparities, and the Age of Information

Introduction               Ever since my undergraduate days at the University of Virginia, I have been interested and engaged in biomedical research. However, it wasn’t until I matriculated to Meharry Medical College, the largest historically black medical school in the country, that I developed an appreciation for the immense scope of disparities that exist in research and the delivery medical care as it pertains to minority populations, and specifically, African-Americans in the United States. As I worked towards a Healthcare MBA at Vanderbilt University and served as the Health Policy and Legislative Affairs Committee Chair for the Student National Medical Association, I developed an even greater understanding for the need for top-down approaches to reducing these inequalities. At the writing of this essay, I am a surgeon-scientist in-training completing a Master’s degree in Biomedical & Translational Sciences , specifically focused on bioethics, biostatistics and research

Writer's block...

As evidenced by my 2 blog posts over the past 4 years, I've been anything but a prolific blogger. I've always been reluctant to blog - mostly because of fear.. but let me explain. Anything one post on the internet will be tied to that individual for eternity.. I don't know about you, but that scares the bergeesus out of me. With the emergence of social media tools like Facebook and Twitter, the microscope by which others judge our words has become increasingly magnified and reactionary. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just look at what happened to Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall in reaction to his Twitter comments after killing of Osama Bin Laden . While Rashard's comments might cost him a few million dollars here and there in endorsements and the like, it's not necessarily going to jeopardize his career as an elite NFL running back - he's not paid for his thoughts, he's paid to move the rock. As for an emerging physicia